[GRASSLIST:4915] Re: What's needed to compile GRASS on Debian Woody 3.0

H. Bowman ihatejunkyabastards at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 9 06:24:17 EST 2002

> I've moved to Debian Woody from RedHat
[...]
> Any ideas on what I have to have installed on my Debian Woody system?

Pls find attached a slightly disorganized list of the -dev packages, as
well as the ./configure options I needed to compile from source on Debian
Woody 3.0. Modify mcpu to suit your processor type, etc..

# ./configure 2>&1 | tee config_log.txt
# ./configure > config_log.txt 2>&1

CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=pentiumpro -Wall" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure \
         --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.3/ \
         --with-postgres-includes="/usr/include/postgresql/
/usr/include/postgresql/server/" \
         --with-motif --with-motif-includes=/usr/X11R6/include \
         --with-freetype --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2/ \
         --with-blas --with-blas-libs=/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.0.4/ \
         --with-lapack --with-glw \
         --with-dbm \
         --with-readline \
         2>&1 | tee config_log.txt

$> make
#> make install

## N.B.  Tcl 8.4 is out..

(those two postgresql includes are on the same line, separated by a space)

The following gets pretty much everthing config'd in for me with a stock
installation of the current (feb 2002) Debian Woody 3.0. Any packages I
already had installed, well add them too- but I don't know what they are.
I have not shifted any files or set up any special links that I can think
of.
Some of these packages may not really be needed..

.deb Package       Provides..
---------------------------------
libncurses5-dev    curses.h
zlib1g-dev         zip fn's
libjpegb2-dev              \
libtiff3g-dev               |- graphics
# superseded  libpng2-dev  /
libpng-dev                /

task-tcltk-dev     Tcl/Tk widgets 8.3
fftw-dev           FFT Libraries
# superseded  libgd-dev          gif/png support
libgd2-dev          gif/png support

postgresql-dev     PostgreSQL
libsqlxx-dev       ODBC ? conflicts with unixodbc-dev?
libgdbmg1-dev      DBM
unixodbc-dev       ODBC
libfreetype6-dev   Freetype
libmotif-dev       Motif
blas-dev           BLAS lapack-dev         LAPACK
g77-3.0            for BLAS (& lapack as well??)
f2c                for BLAS (libf2c) unneeded?

I guess you normally don't ever need to install stuff from tar-balls in
Debian, so a lot of the development stuff isn't included by default.

---
Once there was a Grass/Debian howto page, although it wasn't working when
I needed it last.

g'luck!