[GRASSLIST:4932] Re: overwriting a raster layer with g.rename

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Nov 11 13:01:50 EST 2002

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:50:51AM -0000, Thomas Dewez wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am puzzled by the behaviour of g.rename. The Note in the man pages say:
>
> "However, g.rename will allow the user to overwrite other existing files in the current
> mapset by making the new file name that of an already existing file."
[snip]
> Instead of working smoothly I get the answer:
> <map2> already exists in mapset <blah>
>
> Is there a particular command switch to overwrite the file?

You want the '-o' flag, for overwrite...

This is a bug against the man page.  Sometimes people forget to update
the manual... Using the "help" argument to most commands will give you
the definitive brief summary of what flags and arguments the command
takes.

--
static const char signature[] =
	"Copyright (c) 2002 Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>";