[GRASSLIST:4961] Re: m.in.e00 question

Michael Ash mash at econs.umass.edu
Fri Nov 15 03:26:51 EST 2002

In case anyone is interested, I think that I have resolved
this question:

> I downloaded the following .E00 (ESRI export) files from
> http://www.gisdatadepot.com/.  These files are for one
> country and are derived from the Digital Chart of the World.
>
> AEPOINT.E00 DNNET.E00 HSPOINT.E00 LCPOINT.E00 PPPOINT.E00
> RRLINE.E00 CLLINE.E00 DSPOINT.E00 HYNET.E00 LCPOLY.E00
> PPPOLY.E00 TSLINE.E00 CLPOINT.E00 HSLINE.E00 HYPOINT.E00
> PONET.E00 RDLINE.E00 UTLINE.E00
>
> I have used m.in.e00 to import the data to GRASS.  I can
> display the line and poly files with d.vect and the point
> files with d.sites.  However, the labels and categories that
> were in the .E00 files have in some cases (the point data
> files, I think) detached from the data.  For example,
> site_lists/aepoint contains the coordinates of airports and
> dig_cats/aepoint.aeptname contains the names of airports,
> but the categories in the site_lists file do not seem to
> match the categories in the dig_cats file.  Is there any way
> to reunite the labels and the GIS data?

I will use the example of aepoint (airport locations) and I
will attach the airport names.  m.in.e00 brings in aepoint
as a site file but also creates the dig_cats/aepoint.aeptname category file.

The site_lists/aepoint site file includes coordinates
(longitude and latitude) and a numeric category code for
each airport.

The dig_cats/aepoint.aeptname category file contains the
numeric category codes and the airport name.

1) Use s.to.vect to convert the site file to a vector file.
Do NOT name the new vector file the same name as the already
existing dig_cats/aepoint.aeptname category file because
s.to.vect will overwrite the desired dig_cats/aepoint.aeptname file.
You CAN name the new vector file aepoint.

2) Rename using cp or mv (unix) or Explorer (windows)
only and all of the following files:
dig/aepoint to dig/aepoint.aeptname
dig_att/aepoint to dig_att/aepoint.aeptname
dig_plus/aepoint to dig_plus/aepoint.aeptname

Do NOT rename dig_cats/aepoint to dig_cats/aepoint.aeptname
because the already existing dig_cats/aepoint.aeptname
contains the desired labels.

Do NOT use g.rename or g.copy for this procedure because it
will overwrite the already existing dig_cats/aepoint.aeptname

3) Now you can display the airports and their names with
d.vect aepoint.aeptname
d.vect.labels aepoint.aeptname

4) It is also possible to convert the vector file back to a
site file with v.to.sites using the -C option to use TEXT
data (the airport name) instead of attribute as the site
description.

Best regards,

Michael