[GRASSLIST:5000] Re: Considerations for SVG 1.1 spec from W3C

Jack Varga jvarga at boulder.net
Tue Nov 19 16:14:55 EST 2002

Not clearly understanding patent law, etc., it would seem that if W3C
is leading the specification generation, they would be driven to avoid
complications of patent infringement as they typically do, and the GRASS
development team could proceed on that presumption.  Even if a complication
arose post completion, an open spec can be ammended to skirt the legal
implication, and no one would be quicker to do so than W3C, at least
while Tim Berners Lee has something to say about it.  For me personally,
that would be enough to proceed upon.  My initial overview of the spec
suggests that nothing in the spec itself is patentable.

Regardless, I stand by my original question.  This emerging spec could
be very powerful and beneficial to the geospatial community.  It would
seem that all but the largest of commercial vendors has something to
gain by implementing interfaces to this vector exchange format.  None
more so than an open source GIS, institutional organizations and
governments paying absorbatant fees for overly restrictive licenses.
Particularly an open source GIS moving toward a more complex
vector data model.

Just my $0.02...

-jv