[GRASSLIST:5006] Re: Considerations for SVG 1.1 spec from W3C

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Nov 20 05:35:04 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 12:35:06PM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter writes:
>  > We still need to check if SVG is completely unencumbered by patents.
>
> In theory at least, the W3C will not standardize on specifications which
> incorporate unlicensed patents.  At very least, a standard which
> includes algorithms patented by W3C members will come with a patent
> grant.

That is the recent theory.
Still the situation is not clear enough for me.
I will continue the quest for a clear analysis of the situation
on discussion at fsfeurope.org.

The FSF Europe is interested to analyse the situation
from a Free Software point of view.

http://mailman.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/discussion/2002-November/003356.html

	Bernhard