[GRASSLIST:5008] Re: Considerations for SVG 1.1 spec from W3C

Jack Varga jvarga at boulder.net
Wed Nov 20 11:11:42 EST 2002

The OGIS reference is a "recommendation for a specification," not a
specification in and of itself, (still evolving), but it should be noted
that
GML is entirely independent of SVG.  Their only real similarity is that
they are both built upon XML.  No telling how long it will take to
become an actual spec considering all the commercial interests involved.
Browsing through the SVG mail list archive, for example, the only
comment posted from an ESRI mail address had to do with how to
"protect the content transmitted via SVG," opposed to something
constructive to the format.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2002Jan/0038.html

The SVG Toolkit and OpenSVGMapServer listed on the freegis.org
site look very interesting.  The shp2svg script is interesting in that you
could use arcview to generate svg output (i.e., browser based map
server), but I'm not sure why you would want to do that.  The
performance would be lousy, and if you didn't need dynamic map
generation, why not just use bitmaps?