[GRASSLIST:5042] Re: Shaded relief + geology ???

Thomas Dewez thomas.dewez at brunel.ac.uk
Sat Nov 23 06:59:51 EST 2002

John,

Perhaps you may want to have a look at the proceedings of the last
GRASS conference. I recall reading the papers of some Japanese
people presenting 3D geological models and methods to get them.
Proceedings (and most importantly pdfs that go with the
presentation) are available at:
http://www.ing.unitn.it/~grass/

To compute shaded relief maps, there is a shell script called
shaded.rel.sh which should do what you're after. You may also
display other raster coverages with a shaded relief transparent
overlay so you can see the geological map with a shading figuring
the relief. This is in the grasstcltk interface under the Raster >
Display > Display shaded raster map. Supposedly the equivalent
d.shadedmap command also exists for the command line interface
but on my home-compiled version of GRASS 5pre5, it is not there.
In any case, I find that the aspect map used to figure the landscape
looks somewhat harsh. Instead, I prefer using a slope map for
rendering the relief.  I am not sure how to fine-tune the range of
intensities of the "relief-rendering" layer. Does anybody on the list
know about this?

Does this help at all?

Thomas