[GRASSLIST:5093] Re: monitor export

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Nov 27 11:08:13 EST 2002

Carlos Henrique Grohmann de Carvalho wrote:

> Is there a way I can export the contents of my monitor (raster, vectors) to
> eps, tiff or something else?

The PNG driver allows you to direct the output of d.* commands into a
PNG image. However, you need GD 2.x to get a 24-bpp image; GD 1.x only
supports 8-bpp (256 colour) images.

Or you can use the screen grab feature of an image program such as
ImageMagick to grab the contents of a window (the resulting image will
have the same colour depth as the screen).

For generating PostScript, you can use ps.map. This is probably less
flexible than using d.* commands, but will result in better quality
for vectors and text.