[GRASSLIST:4824] Re: odbc problem

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri Oct 25 03:37:17 EDT 2002

On Thursday 24 October 2002 04:21 pm, Miha STAUT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into a problem while trying to connect to Grass5.0.0 my database of
> communalities in Slovenia that I have in PosgreSQL. The problem Grass is
> complaining about looks like this:
>
> GRASS:~ > db.connect driver=odbc database=obc user=root
> driver:odbc
> database:commun
> location:(null)
> user:root
> password:(null)
> key:(null)
> GRASS:~ > db.databases
> /usr/local/grass5/driver/db/odbc: error while loading shared libraries:
> libodbc.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> dbmi: Protocol error
> Can't run driver (null)
>
> Seems like I do not have installed this library (is this possible?). Where
> can I find it?

ODBC is not distributed with GRASS, so you have toinstall it. It is usually a
package in Linux distribution or you can download it from
http://www.unixodbc.org.

> I would also like to connect it to PostgreSQL as suggested in the help
> files but PostgreSQL provides within the postgresql-odbc package two
> libraries: libpsqlodbc.so.0 and postgresql-odbc. Are these two the same
> type as requested by Grass?

I don't know the current status but it was like it is described here:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/sqlgrass/2001-November/000015.html

> Is the parameter "location" in db.connect necessary? I understood that
> PostrgeSQL stores all the databases in the same directory (.../pgsql/data).

No, location is not used by ODBC, it was used by informix driver only.

Radim