[GRASSLIST:4836] Re: import slowdown?

Michel Wurtz mjwurtz at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 25 16:02:52 EDT 2002

Jeff D. Hamann wrote:
> Why does m.in.e00 seem to slow down to a crawl when importing files larger
> than a few MB? I've got files that are about 15 MB that take over an hour to
> import on a P3-700MHz machine with over 300MB of free disk space. Is there a
> faster way to import e00 files?

It's a known bug that comes from the dig_cat files handling in Grass : m.in.e00
doesn't also work well when there is too many attributes because it opens as many
dig_cat files as attributes.  It seems that the Grass dig_cats library looks for
each new value that there is no duplicate value... So the time increase exponentialy
with the size of the e00 file...

This should be corrected in the next version.

Michel Wurtz