[GRASSLIST:4433] Re: shaded relief

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Sep 6 23:06:28 EDT 2002

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 09:18:27PM -0500, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gustavo Alcides Concheiro P=E9rez?= wrote:

> I'm trying to make a shaded relief color image, from a DEM.  I used
> shade.rel.sh to create a shade raster map, and d.his creates a shaded
> image from the 2 maps.  Not bad, but I think the shade is to stark.
> Is there a manipulation I can perform on the shade map that will
> result in a softer shading?  I tried couple of things with r.mapcalc
> and r.recode, but the result looked awful :(

GRASS> shade.rel.sh help
Usage:
shade.rel.sh [altitude=value] [azimuth=value] [elevation=name]

Well, varying the altitude should change the shading.

If that isn't sufficient for you, try scaling the color table with
r.colors using rules (0 = 51, 255 = 204) or whatever to compress
the range into a mid-tone gray.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>