[GRASSLIST:5981] Re: thanks for the help -- here's one more question

H Bowman hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 23:22:17 EDT 2003

> Then, if I tell GRASS I do want to create location <spearfish>, I see
> this:

You don't need to make a new location, that already exists (it's spearfish)
(database is the full directory path to the directory spearfish is in)

You just want a new mapset.

try (in 'grass5 -text' mode):
LOCATION: spearfish
MAPSET:   matt
DATABASE: /home/grass/

as /home/grass/spearfish/matt doesn't exist, it'll make it & off you go.
It is really simple once you figure out what it wants. ;)

> I see the zone and the coordinates, but how do I determine what
> coordinate system to use? (x,y or Lat-Long or UTM or Other?)

UTM, zone 13, but you don't really have to know that to set up a new mapset.

Hamish