[GRASSLIST:6131] Re: OSX aqua like interface

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Apr 24 01:32:02 EDT 2003

Edmund Blackadder wrote:

> After installing GRASS 5.0.1 from source. i noticed that i dont have
> anymore the aqua like interface in tcltk....
> Do i need to recompile with some extra option???

By default, tcltkgrass uses whichever "wish" program (the Tcl/Tk
interpreter) comes first in the path.

You can force the use of a specific wish program by setting the
environment variable GRASS_WISH accordingly. However, tcltkgrass uses
a fair number of Unix-specific aspects, so I wouldn't expect it to
work with a "native" Mac version of Tcl/Tk without modifications (it
certainly doesn't work with either Cygwin's Tcl/Tk or a native Windows
Tcl/Tk).

It's possible that OpenOSX have modified tcltkgrass for the Mac; if
they have, they haven't mentioned it to the GRASS developers.

Note that tcltkgrass is just Tcl/Tk code, which is interpreted. There
is no configuration or compilation involved; the files in
src/tcltkgrass just get copied to the installation directory (e.g.
/usr/local/grass5/tcltkgrass). It shouldn't be particularly difficult
to check whether the version on the OpenOSX CD has been modified.