[GRASSLIST:2101] Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH error with gdal

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Dec 19 17:04:43 EST 2003

Thomas Adams wrote:

> I'm trying to use r.in.gdal under redhat Linux, GRASS 5.0.2 and I get
> the following error:

> GBBridgeInitialize() failed to find an suitable GDAL .DLL/.so file.
> The following filenames were searched for:
>   o libgdal.1.1.so
>   o gdal.1.0.so
>   o gdal.so.1.0
>   o libgdal.so.1
>
> The following locations were searched:
>   o /awips/grass/lib
>   o System default locations.
>

> System default locations may be influenced by:
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH =
> /awips/grass/lib:/usr/local/motif/lib:/opt/informix/lib/esql:\
> /opt/informix/lib:/awips/hydroapps/lx/gcc_shlibs
> ERROR: Unable to initialize GDAL bridge (check libgdal
>        installation/LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable).
>
> the gdal library, libgdal.1.1.so, is installed in $GISBASE/lib, which is
> /awips/grass/lib.
>
> Any suggestions? I installed the binary release. Otherwise, all other
> commands that I have used run fine.

The GDAL library itself (libgdal.1.1.so) may depend upon several other
libraries. If any of those libraries can't be found, the GDAL library
will fail to load.

Try running:

	ldd /awips/grass/lib/libgdal.1.1.so

If any of the libraries are listed as "not found", you need to ensure
that the library exists on your system and that it resides in a
directory which is listed in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.