[GRASSLIST:5696] d.rast slower in GRASS5 than 4.3

Wayne Gibson gibson at coas.oregonstate.edu
Fri Feb 28 13:13:14 EST 2003

Has there been a fundamental change in how GRASS displays with commands like
d.rast between 4.3 and 5.0.0 or 5.0.1?  I made some comparisons and it is
definitely much slower with newer versions.  I displayed 13 grids in succession
as a test

Version        		Time
-------        		----
4.3 pre-compiled	4 sec
5.0.0 pre-compiled	9 seconds
5.0.1 compiled from src	7 seconds

The compiled from src executables were created on a SUN using the SUNWorkshop C
compiler with switches "-fast -xtarget=ultra2 -xarch=v8plusa".  Those basically
expand to an optimized version for the hardware and an O3-O5 optimization level.
 Should run very fast but that isn't the case.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne Gibson
Oregon State University