[GRASSLIST:5380] Re: nviz fails - cannot find cygtcl80.dll

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Jan 26 16:18:06 EST 2003

John Doucette wrote:

> What are nviz and cygtcl...

NVIZ is a visualisation tool; it allows you to drape maps over an
elevation grid, and view the result in 3D. It should be built by
default when building GRASS; however, it has some fairly complex
dependencies (including OpenGL and Tcl/Tk), so it's more likely to
fail to compile than most of the other GRASS programs.

If it's present, it can be run by executing "nviz" from within GRASS.

cygtcl*.dll/cygtk*.dll are the Cygwin versions of the Tcl and Tk
libraries (Cygwin provides Unix emulation on Windows). They aren't
relevant on Linux.

> I have Grass 5.0 installed on a Red Had Linux
> 7.1 system.  Don't see a sign of either of these anywhere.  Am I missing out
> on something important?

NVIZ is useful, but it's a self-contained program; the rest of GRASS
will work without it. Did you install binaries or build GRASS
yourself?