[GRASSLIST:625] Re: OpenOSX problem

gis1212 at comcast.net gis1212 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 5 17:07:54 EDT 2003

There are contradictions between the OpenOSX and GRASS web sites.

- Quotes from OpenOSX (http://www.openosx.com/grass/index.html):
"limited installation support"
"We will no longer offer free technical support for installing and
configuring GRASS..."
"Updates will be made available when practical..."
"... please consider our Six Month Subscription Plan"

- Quotes from GRASS (http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/mac_os_x/):
"Installation support for GRASS on Mac OS X shall be guaranteed to be
provided only to OpenOSX GRASS customers."
"The fastest and easiest way to install a complete installation of
GRASS on Mac OS X is accomplished with OpenOSX's GRASS 5.0.2 Product,
which will eliminate ALL the instructions and downloads outlined on
this page."

I recently installed GRASS on Mac OS X 10.2.5 without the OpenOSX CD.
I installed Fink, Apple's X11, Tcl/Tk, and Fink Commander (for a GUI
interface to Fink). Most of these installations involved double
clicking on an icon. Unfortunately, I did not record my exact
installation steps. The next major version of Mac OS X, Panther, will
have X11 installed by default.

OpenOSX makes the following claim (which I believe is an exaggeration):
"Alternatively, you can download the binaries that we ported,
compiled and published, download another hundred megabytes of files,
follow countless pages of installation instructions and FAQ's
(located at a multitude of different web sites), and hopefully you
can "save" $50.00 and get GRASS running with a GUI."

Also note that the former Fink project leader alleged that OpenOSX
did not give proper credit regarding the use of Fink with GIMP for
Mac OS X and was possibly not complying with the GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html):
http://fink.sourceforge.net/pr/openosx.php

Please keep in mind that OpenOSX has made contributions to GRASS GIS
which resulted in GRASS being able to run on Mac OS X. Without them
GRASS Mac OS X binaries might not be available.