[GRASSLIST:776] Re: FIX: gdal/v.in.dgn support with grass 5.0.2

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.org
Mon Jul 21 17:43:09 EDT 2003

Hello,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 08:49:11PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello Frank
>
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
> > My *suggestion* would be to make v.in.dgn optional, dependent on whether
> > the appropriate components are installed, and to try to deal with DGN
> > primariliy via the OGR link in the new GRASS.
>
> Yes you are right; I see now that the most elegant way of accessing the
> dgn format is through OGR and that external programs like GRASS should not
> bother with the component libraries that are helpers to OGR.
> Makes sense to me now, thank you for the insight.
>
> We could just add --with-dgn and --with-dgn-includes as options to the
> GRASS configure script then to help the people who want to use this older
> module.

Well, since what would require that indeed gdal is installed, I think
the solution both of you propose is the correct one : just tell people
that they can use ogr2ogr to transform a dgn file in a format "natively"
supported by GRASS.

BTW, and this is just a question, have GRASS/GDAL developers already
looked at ISO 10303 (i.e. STEP) for a central ASCII format ?

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde <tlaronde at polynum.org>
Site Debian Francophone (aka SDF) : http://www.debian-france.org/