[GRASSLIST:411] v.in.shape errors

javier garcia - CEBAS rn001 at cebas.csic.es
Tue Jun 17 12:01:33 EDT 2003

Hi all;
I've used v.in.shape (grass5.0.2) with a rather big shapefile. And I've got
several problems:
First; the logfile generated shows, at the end, several WARNINGS as:

WARNING: There was a runaway line (> 50,000 vertices) in closed line
extraction.
  If this is a possible scenario, consider increasing the vertex limit.
  Otherwise there is an error in the imported file, or else a bug.

After this, if v.support is run, the following messages appear:

About 400 messages like:
Unclosed area, free end or edge inside area: line 119
Unclosed area, free end or edge inside area: line 122

About another 300 like:
PNT_TO_AREA failed: (693878.345316, 4168823.007300) (Category 4)
PNT_TO_AREA failed: (690050.702782, 4170233.613346) (Category 8)

And several like:
--------------------
WARNING: area 1637 label: 1538 matched another label: 4447.

And, at last:
-------------------
 Number of lines:   15191
 Number of nodes:   10036
 Number of areas:   5401
 Number of isles:   661
 Number of atts :   5246
 Number of unattached atts :   238
 Snapped lines  :   0

After this, I've run v.to.rast to see the results quickly. And the result
seems not very bad, but there are about 20% of lost areas.
I've imported the table into postgres with pg.in.dbf and the result is good.
My aim is to use postgres with the field used as category (a different value
for each polygon) in v.in.shape as row ID, so a primary concern is that the
values of the categories are not crossed, missed or whatever...
The second problem is, what to do with the missing polygons. Could anyone
help me and give me some advices about how to address all this?

thanks and best wishes

Javier