[GRASSLIST:438] Re: m.in.e00 question

Roger Miller roger at spinn.net
Thu Jun 19 17:24:14 EDT 2003

I don't agree that the user-assigned coverage ID provides a better link than
the internal coverage number.

I've done some work with m.in.e00, both using it and coding for it.  I recall
that when I imported a point coverage I had to use the -i option, but when I
imported a line coverage the -i option did not work correctly.  My
recollection could be faulty.

More recently I modified m.in.e00 to correctly read polygon coverages (that
modification has not yet been merged back to CVS) and found that the e00
format does not use the coverage-ID in the polygon topology (PAL) table.  I
couldn't find a way to use the coverage-ID to link the data; it appeared
necessary to use the coverage-#.

I thought that it might be best to remove the -i option entirely.

I can think of only one problem that might come up when indexing with
coverages numbers.  You cannot import data from two different e00 files and
use the category numbers to compare objects between the two imported data
sets.  There is no way to guarantee that the category number for an object
from one file will be the same category number for the same object from a
different file.

Roger Miller

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:34:35 -0400 (EDT), Michael Ash wrote