[GRASSLIST:504] Re: Shipping data with GNU/Linux distributions

Luis E Menoyo lemenoyo at usgs.gov
Tue Jun 24 14:53:12 EDT 2003

Making the NIMA VMAP available in GRASS format in order to give people a
usefull easy to use dataset is a good idea.  But then if we are talking
about a tutorial for beginners I would highly recommend not providing the
data in GRASS format but actualy going thru the process of showing people
how to import data into GRASS.

Having the data already in GRASS format, although convenient, does not
address the issue of teaching people how to import their own data sets. It
would have been useful for me to have a tutorial data set of DLGs, DRGs,
and DEMs in their original format and then learn how to import, overlay,
and manipulate them.  This way I would have been ushered thru the whole
process from start to finish.  The Spearfish tutorial starts you off with
the data already imported, thus skipping an important step.

Mabe what we need is a revised tutorial, a-la Spearfish, that also
includes the import/export side of things.

My question on the inclusion of data on the GNU/Linux GRASS distribution
would be:  Are we going for a sample data set or a tutorial data set?

Hal Mueller <hal at mobilegeographics.com>
Sent by: owner-GRASSLIST at baylor.edu
06/24/03 08:53 AM