[GRASSLIST:5818] Re: New Location Error

John Chesnut jchesnut at slonet.org
Thu Mar 20 18:14:43 EST 2003

>I have installed GRASS on my OX 10.2.4 machine.
>When I get the tcltk start up screen asking me to choose
>a location, iif I hit the "new" button, I get an error and the
>gui crashes.

The OS X binary will not create "new" locations in the GUI mode.  You
MUST start the text mode with the command in xterm:

grass5 -text

This starts the text mode window where you may name and create new
locations and mapsets.

After a location is established you may start the GUI with the command
  tcltkgrass &

You will have to quit and restart the GUI once before it is usable.
You will get an error message about "error writing to Console 1"
QUIT the GUI using the quit button on the main menu, and immediately
restart  from the xterm using the command:

  tcltkgrass &

to restore default use of the GUI, exit grass in xterm
by typing
exit
and then restart

grass5 -tcltk

You will still have to quit and restart the GUI as described above.