[GRASSLIST:5930] Multiple coordinate systems

John Harrop johnh at sjgeophysics.com
Mon Mar 31 16:41:12 EST 2003

Hi,

I've not been able to come up with a comfortable way of handling
projects with multiple coordinate systems in grass.  Perhaps I'm missing
something...

Our typical project uses at least two coordinate systems.  One is a
local coordinate system oriented by data collection methods and used for
processing of such data.  The second is usually a UTM projection and
most final maps are produced in this projection.  The relationship
between the two is a simple shift and rotate operation since the areas
we are working with are quite small.

I can see how to transform one mapset while importing into another
mapset, but after that is done you obviously have a potential map
version conflict when one but not the other is updated with new data.

Is there a way to overlay different projections and/or non-earth
coordinate systems in grass on-the-fly?  (Similar to how MapInfo and
other systems handle it.)

Any comments folks?

Thanks,

John Harrop