[GRASSLIST:1485] photoshop,GRASS, and Landsat

Ian Macmillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Mon Oct 13 20:54:23 EDT 2003

Hi all, I am wondering if anybody out there has experienced this problem.  I
have gotten ahold of some Landsat data, and imported it into GRASS, no prob.  I
have displayed bands 3,2,1 as RGB, but the histograms are all screwy, so the
images look very ugly (not uncommon for Landsat).  I displayed the histograms
and then rescaled the rasters (r.rescale) so that the curve was more
appropriate.  However the image I get is still not very realistic looking.
When i performed the same operation in Photoshop (using adjust levels) with the
same histogram rescaling, the image looks very nice.  I was able to compare on
screen the two images in GRASS and Photoshop, and made sure that their
histograms matched.  However the Photoshop image looked much better
(specifically, the reds came out better).  The links below should show what I am
talking about.

http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~ian_macmillan/p15r53_Photoshop.jpg
http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~ian_macmillan/p15r53_GRASS.jpg

Anyone out there dealt with this?