[GRASSLIST:1538] Re: r.in.gdal and a GeoTIFF

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Oct 22 19:34:11 EDT 2003

Ed Davison wrote:

> > > GRASS:~/gis/data/nationalatlas/shdrlf > r.in.gdal input=shdrlfi020l.tif
> > > output=shdrlf -o
> > > WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North
> >
> > Do you try to import into a Lat/Long location? What does
> > g.region -dp
>
> GRASS:~/gis/data/nationalatlas/shdrlf > g.region -dp
> projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
> zone:       0
> datum:      wgs84
> ellipsoid:  wgs84
> north:      37N
> south:      25N
> west:       107W
> east:       93W
> nsres:      0:00:30
> ewres:      0:00:30
> rows:       1440
> cols:       1680
>
> Yup, it looks like it. I guess the question is, then, how do I get
> this into my lat/long location?

First, you need to import your data into a location which uses the
same projection as your data. Once that has been done, you can
re-project it into a different location using r.proj.

Of course, you need to know which projection your data is in. That is
unavoidable; if you don't have that information, you're stuffed.

It doesn't appear to be specfied in the GeoTIFF header (the
"Coordinate System" field is blank). It may be stated e.g. on the site
from which the image was obtained, or someone else might recognise the
source and know which projection is used.