[GRASSLIST:1555] Re: r.in.gdal and a GeoTIFF

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Oct 25 05:32:37 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 02:27:43PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:51:40AM -0500, Ed Davison wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 04:43, Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > > Searching around I found this file.
> > > http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/nationalatlas/shdrlfi020l.tar.gz

BTW: The ellipsoid/datum within this data set does NOT match
the metadata description of the same map. Similar things
I observed with the geological map: The SHAPE file lacks the .prj
file, the geological map metadata refer to a third spheroid.

Either the metadata and/or the maps are wrong, and/or the various
maps of the US National Atlas use different ellipsoids/map datums
(Sphere, GRS80, WGS84 etc).

It is a bit confusing. Does anyone have more insights?

 Markus