[GRASSLIST:1092] Re: Looking for a guru...

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Sep 3 01:22:15 EDT 2003

Bill Dickinson Jr wrote:

> I do not have the OpenOSX CD yet, though it is on my list if I can't
> get it running without it. I am trying to show NASA that there is an
> alternative GIS solution to ESRI without the costs, so I am trying
> not to spend any money on the demo I want to develop. It seems like
> it shouldn't be that big of a deal downloading and installing
> everything myself and for most things it hasn't been. The problem I
> am currently stuck on is getting GRASS to talk correctly to the
> database.
>
> You mention the LOCATION and MAPSET, which happens to be the specific
> hurdle I am currently trying to get over. GRASS is installed as is
> MySQL as my database, but I can't get GRASS to acknowledge a LOCATION
> and MAPSET within the MySQL folders.

The GRASS "database" is just a directory, not an SQL database.

To check whether GRASS is installed correctly, install one of the
sample datasets (e.g. spearfish) in a directory of your choice. That
directory (the one which contains the spearfish etc subdirectory)
should be entered into the "database" field in the start-up screen.