[GRASSLIST:1102] Re: Looking for a guru...

Jack Varga jvarga at boulder.net
Wed Sep 3 14:19:35 EDT 2003

Bill,

Could you elaborate?  I know what my perceived "downsides" to ArcGIS
are, but I'm curious what other perceptions are as well.  I'm not sure
GRASSLIST is the place to have this discussion, except that Grass has
similar downsides.  For example, my perception of one major drawback of
ArcGIS 8.x from the former architecture is that extending functionality
of any ESRI tool now can only be accomplished by an accomplished
Windows-based OO software engineer.  Very few natural resource managers
are also accomplished Windows-based (.NET) OO software engineers.  Very
few OO software engineers are also accomplished managers of natural
resources.  It is doubtful that colleges of natural resource management
will now require 20 credit hours of accompanying object oriented
analysis and design just so their graduates can extend ArcInfo.  AML on
the other hand, for all its absurdities, could at least be comprehended
in a couple/few class assignments.

It's my perception that ArcObjects and the 8.x architecture was designed
not with respect to Natural Resource managers and scientists, the
foundation of ESRI users, but with respect to engineers that manage
utility systems.  Hence 8.x's similarities to the SmallWorld object
model architecture.  Even the object relational model concept behind
creating geodatabases really only benefits utilities who need to manage
n-ary relationships between linear features, yet adds so much complexity.

The lesson here for Grass is perhaps to never lose focus of who the end
user is and what they are trying to accomplish.  If Grass lacks anything
at this point it is easy installation and configuration.  The open
source model, leveraging other open source libraries and initiatives,
doesn't always lend itself to easy compilation, (i.e., do I build GDAL
first with libgrass or Grass first and use its libraries to compile
GDAL?).  What I feel needs to happen (in addition to quicker releases),
is a Grass installation/compilation project as a wrapper that
facilitates building Grass successfully and all its constituent
dependencies, (i.e., libgeotiff, libtiff, gdal, xerces, proj4, etc.)
much the way the Debian or even Mandrake package managers do, but
perhaps not tied to specific OS's and/or distributions.

In closing, apologies in advance for the digression.  I am extremely
indebted to all the current and former members of the Grass development
team so I hope no offense is taken to any of these comments and only
wish I could contribute more.

Jack Varga