[GRASSLIST:1130] Re: GRASS 5.1---when?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sat Sep 6 07:23:29 EDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 12:27:52PM -0500, Gustavo Alcides Concheiro Perez wrote:
> I know that ``it will be ready when it's ready'', and I'm in full
> support of that policy, but can anyone give me a guesstimate for the
> release of an *usable* (if not fully stable) GRASS 5.1?

This is very hard to estimate as it mainly depends on the help
on development level we get.

Currently developers debate renaming 5.1. to a higher number
and then a release with an odd minor number will always be experimental.
And those releases come first. My estimation is that something which
would be a stable 5.2.0 release (however it is called then)
will not before end 2004. This can change if more developers join us. :)

> I need to
> design a GIS database, and I'd like to know about when will the new
> capabilities be there, mostly the new vector format and the connection
> to databases.  TIA.

If you need that capabilities you should think of helping to test
the current code and see if it already is stable enough for you uses.
This might very well be the case.