[GRASSLIST:1136] Re: FIX: gdal/v.in.dgn support with grass 5.0.2

Keith J. Forbes listsemail at gmx.net
Mon Sep 8 11:16:04 EDT 2003

On Sunday 20 July 2003 01:49 pm, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> [I have set some Bcc since the message might be of some interest to both
> users, developers and packagers. Hope I don't make a mistake!]
>
> Hello,
>
> First sorry if the solution has already been given.
>
> I wanted, in order to be more convincing about the adoption of GRASS, to
> compile in the support for dgn (we use Microstation here).
>
> This is the 5.0.2 release of GRASS. I have retrieved the 1.1.9 version of
> gdal and I work on a FreeBSD 4.5 system, with user ports upgraded merely
> to the 5.1 branch and adapted if necessary by hand.
>
> Since the integration of the dgn library in gdal, the API has changed
> and several things need to be adjusted for the module v.in.dgn (for
> instance, DGNOpen now takes 2 arguments).
>
> First, one need to use `--with-gdal=<PATH_TO_gdal-config>' as an
> argument to `configure' and have gdal 1.1.9 compiled on the system with
> the ogr support. If the `ogr' support has been compiled in, then the
> DGN* functions are included in the gdal library. One doesn't need
> something else. To verify the version of gdal (if installed):
>
> gdal-config --version
>
> To verify the presence of the DGN* functions one can use `nm' but a test
> should be inserted in the configure script (I'm not an autoconf user, so
> the patches are not given).
>
> One problem with `gdal' is that the dgn* headers are not installed. I
> have so added the relevant headers directly in v.in.dgn subdirectory,
> but the "right" solution should be the installation of these by gdal.
>
> The attached patches (named after the FreeBSD ports convention) are
> sufficient to have v.in.dgn compiled successfully (it is not compiled by
> default, you need to compile it with gmake5 and launch gmakelink5
> afterwards ---BTW, how could one have it compiled by default if gdal
> support is selected at configure time?).
>
> Just a note : since `gdal-config --libs' mixes LDFLAGS (-L) and library
> argument (-l), a dependency against GDAL_LIBS was puzzling gmake.
>

> Thanks for the great work!
> --
> Thierry Laronde <tlaronde at polynum.org>
> Site Debian Francophone (aka SDF) : http://www.debian-france.org/

Hi Thierry.

I saw this on grasslist and have been having problems with r.in.gdal and Frank
W. suggested recompiling with gdal.

I recompiled as follows:

./configure --with-postgres-includes=/usr/local/pgsql/include/
--with-gdal=/usr/local/share/gdal --with-postgres-libs=/usr/local/pgsql/lib

but now think I specified gdal location incorrectly

I have gdal-config in /usr/local/bin/.

should i use

--with-gdal=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config or
--with-gdal=/usr/local/bin

Thanks.

--
k|J|f