[GRASSLIST:1164] Re: sites

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 07:35:36 EDT 2003

> Hi all, got a question about sites.  I have not had luck importing
> ascii files with sites,

Make sure your input file is saved with UNIX linefeeds (Textpad for
Windows or Bbedit for Mac will help), and there exists a third column of
data, not just "x y".

s.in.ascii, v.in.dxf, etc. need to be hardened.

> so I have been making my own files and placing
> them directly into the site_lists folder. This has worked ok, except
> that I am not sure how to get any atrributes to be recognized.  The
> format that I think I am supposed to use is something like:
>
> name| allsonora
> desc| allsonora
> labels| east north category ID age mineral
> form| | | # @
> 590231| 3237428| #1 @"1"
> 677434| 3204584| #2 @"2"
>
> but somehow I can't get grass to read this.

Get rid of the spaces, e.g.:

name|allsonora
desc|allsonora
labels|east north category ID
form|||#@
590231|3237428|#1 @"1"
677434|3204584|#2 @"2"

the labels line has too many entries as well.

> I also would like to add more categories, but only for some sites,
> not all.  I figured I should do something like this.
>
> name| allsonora
> desc| allsonora
> labels| east north category ID age mineral
> form| | | # @ @ @
> 590231| 3237428| #1 @"1" @"" @""
> 677434| 3204584| #2 @"2" @"" @""
> 496106| 3150481| #60 @"IMSL03" @"13±0.3" @"gmass"

That should work fine once the spaces are removed from the after
the ||'s.

> I am using Grass 5.0 on OSX 10.2.6 and using rich-text format (.rtf)
> files for my sites created in TextEdit.

Input files need to be straight ASCII text files; .rtf has special
formatting code which confuses it. If TextEdit doesn't have a Save As..
option for UNIX format, use Bbedit or a command line editor.

Hamish