[GRASSLIST:1196] Re: creating a desktop GIS application using GRASS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 06:53:24 EDT 2003

> > Put GRASS on a Live Linux CD and a choice of pre-packaged modules
> > with datasets: a global dataset, localized data for your
> > country-region, specialized datasets for diff disciplines, &c.  Sort
> > this all out for the user.  Give him reasonable defaults, and
> > pre-arranged mapsets.
>
> You might have seen that we've already have GRASS on several
> live running CDs. The problem mainly is in the data.

If you want sample data on the live CDs, we first need to get Spearfish
packaged and into Debian/testing, which probably isn't that hard to do.
Most of the live CDs are Knoppix based which is in turn Debian based.
Get it into Debian, simple to put it in everything else.

Are the Spearfish maps licensed as free software according to the DFSG?
 http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

The other issue is convincing the live-CD distros to include the data;
Spearfish is 26mb uncompressed.

reagrds,
Hamish