[GRASSLIST:1208] Re: Compilation errors

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Sep 11 21:09:59 EDT 2003

Bill Dickinson Jr wrote:

> While compiling from source for OS X, I received the following
> compilation errors.
>
> Compilation error in module: src/general/g.region (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/imagery/i.points3 (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.digit (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.in.gshhs (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.mkquads (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.proj (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/misc/m.proj2 (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.in.gdal (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.proj (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.sun (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.sunmask (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/sites/s.proj (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src.contrib/GMSL/NVIZ2.2 (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/display/d.text.freetype (ignored)
>
> I used the standard configure options. I'm guessing this means that
> none of these modules will be available to me within GRASS, so it
> would be nice to know why there were compilation errors and how to
> correct them.

All of those except NVIZ and d.text.freetype use the projection
library (src/libes/proj), so I suspect that is to blame for most of
them.

NVIZ uses a lot of external libraries, but OpenGL and Tcl/Tk are the
ones most likely to be responsible.

The d.text.freetype problem is probably related to FreeType.

It's impossible to determine anything more specific without seeing the
actual error messages from the output from "make". If you didn't
capture it, run "make" again and capture the output, e.g.

	make >& build.log

Don't send the entire file to the list, but try to extract the
relevant portions (i.e. the relevant commands and the resulting error
messages). For the proj issue, you should only need to locate one
example; the others are likely to have the same problem.

BTW, I don't think that I can discuss this with you off-list; previous
messages sent to your address have been bounced:

	Final-Recipient: RFC822; <wdickins at pop700.gsfc.nasa.gov>
	Action: failed
	Remote-MTA: dns; mail500-2.gsfc.nasa.gov (128.183.244.226)
	Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Denied by policy.