[GRASSLIST:1303] Re: creating a desktop GIS application using GRASS

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Sep 19 07:19:50 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:16:02PM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 September 2003 15:34, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > because not all GRASS developers agree with Radim's mission
> > to promote the development of proprietary software on top of GRASS.

> So I want to ask developers contributing to GRASS,
> if they could clearly say, if it is acceptable for them, to open GRASS for
> proprietary applications. That means to relicense some libraries,
> probably gis, vector and dbmi to LGPL or similar license.
> My question now is not about technical details, but about your attitude.
> I would welcome some clear answer like "yes" or "no".

I believe the technical details of this relicensing to be important.
I'm along Paul's opinion: If it was possible to have a small set of interface
libraries, that does not make the powerful analytic capabilities
of GRASS available for direct use by proprietary software,
I would be in favour of using the LGPL for it.

My current knowledge about the technical situation is,
that this would mean a lot of work if this is possible at all
with the current design, thus the short answer for the current
sitation is "no".