[GRASSLIST:3110] weighted Thiessen polygons

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Apr 6 12:03:30 EDT 2004

On Monday, April 5, 2004, at 10:01  PM, Multiple recipients of list
wrote:

> From: "Colin Nielsen" <nielsen at myrealbox.com>
> Date: Mon Apr 5, 2004  5:13:58  PM America/Phoenix
> To: hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
> Cc: GRASSLIST at baylor.edu
> Subject: [GRASSLIST:3100] Re: Xtent Modelling (wieghted Thieseen)
>

> I'm an archaeologist trying to determine possible
> territories/influence around sites. I want to give certain sites a
> greater weight of influence than others (such as a capital city vs a
> small farm). It would be relatively easy to impliment from a
> programmers point of view. Instead of drawing the boundary at 50%
> between the sites put it at 70% or whatever based on the wieghting. I
> was just hoping someone had already done this. Yes/ no?
>
> -Colin

I am also an archaeologist. The short answer is no. No one has produced
for GRASS a kind of weighted Voronoi/Thiessen routine that you describe.

I understand what you want to do, and agree that it could be useful.
However, I'm not sure that a Voronoi diagram is what you need.
Remember, if you use a weighting variable to change the distance at
which splits are made between sites, it changes it in all directions.
For a small site, the distance might need to be 30% in one direction,
but 50% in another. The program would need to work this out. Maybe you
could actually draw something this way that completely fills space like
Voronoi diagrams, but I worry that there would be trouble with the
vertices. Of course, maybe it is just my faulty imagination first thing
in the morning.

Michael Barton
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
Department of Anthropology