[GRASSLIST:3118] Re: nviz in stereo

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Apr 8 01:34:35 EDT 2004

Ian Macmillan wrote:

> Hi all, I have a question.  My department just got a GeoWall, which is a set of
> 2 digital projectors that allows users to view images in 3d using polarized
> glasses.  I was curious if there has ever been any talk of using NVIZ as a
> stereo viewer.  It would require two screens from NVIZ that could be viewed at
> the same time in stereo.  The only option right now is to make vrml files and
> view them with other applications, or to use the new version of ArcScene (boo
> expensive ESRI).  Would this require mountains of work to implement?  Any ideas
> out there?

Implementing this on an SGI system which has the SGIStereo
stereoscopic X11/OpenGL extensions should be trivial. The Togl widget
(on which NVIZ is based) already includes support for this.

Implementing it on other systems would be less trivial; you would need
to create two Togl widgets, each with a slightly different projection.
Most of the effort involved would probably be in figuring out how NVIZ
works and which parts need modifications; the modifications themselves
probably wouldn't be particularly complex.