[GRASSLIST:4119] Some GRASS user statistics
neteler at itc.it
Fri Aug 6 09:20:54 EDT 2004
in a sort of interview I was asked about the number of GRASS users
Here some numbers:
A rumour says: estimated 10,000-30,000 users worldwide.
It's hard to estimate, but we have the download rates:
- 1 master site (ITC-irst, Italy)
- around 25 mirror sites worldwide with daily syncronization
(cascaded mirrors to minimized bandwidth usage at the master site)
- Web stats of the IRST master site at, see http://grass.itc.it/webalizer/
- HTTP-protocol based downloads: 40-80GB/month
(not considering IRST-FTP and rsync; note that before June 2004 the
grass.itc.it was heavily bandwidth-limited by 'modthrottle')
- Example July 2004:
- GRASS 5.7.0 for MS-Windows: 573 downloads
- GRASS 5.0.2 for MS-Windows: 287 (generic) + 185 (X11) downloads
- GRASS 5.0.3 for Linux: 290 downloads
- GRASS 5.3.0 for MS-Windows: 150 downloads
* source code:
- GRASS 5.7.0 source code: 558 downloads
- GRASS 5.3.0 source code: 190 downloads
- GRASS 5.0.3 source code: 170 downloads
Keep in mind that
- Fedora (Redhat)
offer precompiled RPM packages for easy installation.
There is also direct CVS access which is not considered here.
The downloads statistics of the 25 mirror sites I don't have.
Assuming an identical download rate for all sites (there are
additionally the FTP mirror sites, not considered here),
we may get:
Binaries: 1485 * 25 [+ distributions] = 37125 downloads in July 2004
Sources: 918 * 25 = 22950 downloads in July 2004
In institutions a single installation is often used by several
users over network. So even that increases the user statistics.
Markus Neteler <neteler itc it> http://mpa.itc.it
ITC-irst - Centro per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica
MPBA - Predictive Models for Biol. & Environ. Data Analysis
Via Sommarive, 18 - 38050 Povo (Trento), Italy
More information about the grass-user