[GRASSLIST:2449] Re: BGC GRASS module

chiara.sboarina at katamail.com chiara.sboarina at katamail.com
Tue Feb 3 07:30:59 EST 2004

Kirk,
my approach is very simple, I've taken the Biome-BGC code and I've modified the initialization part to conform to GRASS module style. The other thing I've done is to call the calculation code part from inside a for cicle on rows and columns. How to create a module? I downloaded from GRASS web site the Programmer's Manual, but the thing that helped me more was to have a look at how other modules are made. I warn you that I'm not so good in writing C code so I find very useful to have examples.
I simplified Biome-BGC in the initialization part and I took away the possibility to do spin-up simulations. I didn't do modifications to the calculation algorithms so at the end I didn't simplify it very much. Now the module works, or better, I think it works because I need to find the appropriate initialization parameters. I can tell you that at this moment it works only with regions smaller than 16x16 pixels and it takes few seconds to do the job. For bigger regions I get error messages like "too many raster open" or for much bigger region "segmentation fault". As you can see I have still some problems.
I hope to have been helpful.
Best Regards,
Chiara