[GRASSLIST:2153] Re: Import shape file

firuz ramli firuz70 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 04:42:56 EST 2004

Paul

Thanks for the tips. Work fine now.

Firuz

Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, [iso-8859-1] firuz ramli wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am having a slight problem when try to import contour shape file into
> GRASS. I managed to import the file but the main problem is when I ran the v.report and also d.what.vect, instead of the contour value been imported, the category number is shown such as 0, 1, 2, 3 and so on. I need to have the contour value because I need to generate DEM from it.

Read the man page for v.in.shape. You need to use the attribute and/or
label options to take the fields you want out of the shapefile, otherwise
the contour values won't be imported. The -d flag is also useful to see
the names of these fields.

The v.in.shape man page explains this fairly thoroughly, but it is buried
quite deep in it and could probably be made clearer. An interactive
version that would list the fields in the dbf file and allow the user to
choose which one should be the attribute number and which the category
label would certainly be useful.

Paul