[GRASSLIST:2166] Re: i.ortho.photo in xwin

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jan 8 20:43:19 EST 2004

Richard Greenwood wrote:

> > I'm unfortunately living with trying to use Grass out of the xwin part
> > of cygwin. I've been trying to use i.ortho.photo, and seem to
> > successfully get through all of the steps, but when I try and
> > orthorectify (step 8) I get a message "you will get mail when
> > photo.rectify is complete". After that the computer processes for a
> > few minutes, then nothing happens. No new raster appears in the target
> > location. Does anyone have any ideas about what is happening?
>
> I don't know what might be happening in your case, but I can say that
> i.ortho.photo works in Cygwin. And if you add
>     GRASS_STDERR: 1
> to .grassrc5 you will disable the send mail and the message should got
> to sdtout (your shell window) instead.

Actually, I don't think that's true of photo.rectify.

There is a facility for mailing errors to the user built into the
libgis error functions (G_warning/G_fatal_error), and that can be
disabled by setting GRASS_STDERR.

However, photo.rectify has its own version of this functionality, and
there doesn't appear to be an override. Unless you have a working
"mail" program (which implies a working local mail system), you can't
see the messages.

OTOH, I suppose that you could create a dummy "mail" script which just
appends its input to a log file.