[GRASSLIST:2178] Re: r.in.gdal : Unresolvable problems?

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Fri Jan 9 23:45:12 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 05:45:31PM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Ben Logan wrote:
>
> > This morning I ran 'find' from the root of my filesystem and searched
> > for anything named gdal* libgdal* or ogr*.  I removed everything (gdal
> > related) that turned up, removed the grass installation and sources
> > and removed the gdal sources.  I then compiled gdal-1.1.9, and grass
> > 5.0.3 using --with-gdal (and also --without-fftw, but I'm assuming
> > that shouldn't affect it).  I had the same problem as before.
>
> One comment: when building GDAL for use with GRASS, it may help to use
> the --without-grass configure switch.

Glynn,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried doing as you said.  First, I
totally uninstalled the gdal libs (and includes) from my system and
then recompiled with --without-grass.  Then I tried running r.in.gdal
again (without recompiling grass).  It still segfaulted, so I removed
my grass installation and recompiled it (using --with-gdal).  Still
failed.  One thing I noted was that there are two versions of
r.in.gdal--one in /usr/local/grass5/etc/bin/cmd and one in
/usr/local/grass5/bin.  They differ (the one under etc is quite a bit
larger), and the one under bin is the one which gets run under GRASS,
but I tried running the other and it failed too.

I'm starting to see red right now, so I think I'll give it a rest for
today. :-)  I have installed Knoppix on my HD so I can remaster it, so
tomorrow I will try compiling grass and gdal under Knoppix.  That's a
brand spankin' knew development environment, so there's no possibility
that there are any old libs lying around etc.  If that doesn't work,
I'll really be lost....something tells me it isn't going to work
either.  If someone can help me make sense of it, I'll run gdb on
r.in.gdal.  I don't know much C/C++, so I'll need some help.

Take care,
Ben

--
Ben Logan