[GRASSLIST:2180] Re: r.in.gdal : Unresolvable problems? -- Solved

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Sat Jan 10 20:01:09 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:09:59PM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Almost everything in the bin directory is a (hard) link to
> etc/front.end. The "real" programs live in etc/bin/cmd and
> etc/bin/inter.
>
> front.end simply determines whether to run the "cmd" or "inter"
> version, depending upon which exists, and whether any arguments were
> given. This allows a module to have separate command-line and
> interactive versions.

Okay, that makes sense.

> Some other thing which might make a difference are linking r.in.gdal
> with g++ instead of gcc, using an earlier version of GDAL, and
> disabling optimisation.
>
> r.in.gdal itself is a fairly simple program. OTOH, the GDAL library is
> complex, and is written in C++ (which greatly increases the potential
> for problems). Consequently, any problems are far more likely to be in
> GDAL than in r.in.gdal (provided that you are using --with-gdal; the
> dynamic loading option can be problematic).
>
> As for debugging:
>
> 1. Run gdb on /usr/local/grass5/etc/bin/cmd/r.in.gdal rather than just
> r.in.gdal, as the latter is just the front.end program.
>
> 2. Make sure that both r.in.gdal and the GDAL library were built with
> debug info (-g), and preferably without optimisation. This can usually
> be achieved by using "CFLAGS=-g ./configure ..." when configuring the
> package in question (the default is "-g -O2", which enables
> optimisation; this can complicate debugging, as the resulting code
> often bears little resemblance to the source code).

Thank you very much for your help, Glynn.  It must have been the
optimisation that was causing problems because I recompiled with -g
like you said, and it works fine.  Now I have a question about one of
the maps that was imported, but I'll start another thread for it. :-)

Best regards,
Ben

--
Ben Logan