[GRASSLIST:2195] Re: d.mon socket problem

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Mon Jan 12 14:31:03 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:27:36AM -0600, William K wrote:
> make sure you have the DISPLAY environment var set to :0.0
>
> also make sure X11 is already running, if you're running GRASS from the
> Terminal instead of an X11 xterm.
>
> On Jan 12, 2004, at 10:16 AM, David Orme wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've got grass57 built now - thanks to everyone. When I try and start
> >a graphics monitor i get the following (most recent weekly snapshot,
> >Mac OS 10.2.8):
> >
> >>GRASS
> >>5.7.-cvs:/usr/local/src/grass57_exp_2004_01_10/bin.powerpc-apple-
> >>darwin6.8 > d.mon start=x0
> >>ERROR: Graph_Set: can't open Display
> >>No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
> >>Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
> >>No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.

David,

I don't know anything about the Mac OS, but my understanding is that
it is very unixish.  If that's true, in addition to William's
suggestions, you might make sure you have permission to write to
wherever GRASS is trying to create the sockets.  For example, on my
Linux box, sockets for user "ben" are created in /tmp/grass-ben.  If
"ben" didn't have write permissions on /tmp, no socket(s) could be
created.

Regards,
Ben

--