[GRASSLIST:2201] Re: gmake5 on binaries

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Jan 12 18:44:30 EST 2004

Jaime Carrera wrote:

> I installed the precompiled binary for linux. I want
> to intall other modules, but I can't find gmake5 nor
> gmakelinks5, as the script didn't make a
> /bin.i686-pc-linux-gnu directory.

If you want to compile anything which is based upon GRASS, you usually
need the source code. Code which only requires libgis and libdatetime
can be built without it, but not using gmake5.

Code which requires other libraries, e.g. the display libraries
(libraster/libdisplay/libD), the vector libraries etc can't be built
without the source code, because those libraries aren't included in
the binary distributions.