[GRASSLIST:2227] Re: Changing Paper Size in ps.map

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jan 14 17:29:15 EST 2004

J. Brian Adams wrote:

> I have been trying to create a large scale map (18" x 24") using
> ps.map.  I set ps.select to the large printer, but when I run ps.map
> and view the postscript file it only shows a quarter of the image.  I
> convert the file using ps2pdf then view it in Acrobat Reader.  Acrobat
> seems to be stuck on standard US Letter.  However, I get the same
> result if I view the ps file directly in Mac's Preview.

The resulting PostScript file doesn't attempt to configure the
printer's (or viewer's) page size; it assumes that it will be set
correctly.

Nor does it write a %%BoundingBox line; it used to, but that code was
disabled because it tended to get it wrong (the bounding box only
covered the map, ignoring any title, legend etc).

You have to set the page size manually using whichever mechanism the
printer/viewer provides (printers normally have buttons for this,
GhostView/GV have a menu, ghostscript itself has the -sPAPERSIZE=
option).