[GRASSLIST:2238] Re: v.digit problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jan 15 03:37:05 EST 2004

francesco.pirotti wrote:

> > Now I want to vectorize my map but when I run v.digit in grass5.7, it says:
> >
> >   v.digit: error while loading shared libraries: libtk.so.0: cannot open
> >  shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Common problem... someone correct me if I am wrong, but a lot of linux
> distributions have the tk and tcl libraries named libtk8.3.so and other
> names with do not match what GRASS is looking for (which is libtk.so.0)  so
> the simple solution is to go to you library folder (usually usr/lib or
> other lib folders) and make a symlink to you libtk*.so

However, this is only likely to work reliably if your Tk library is
the same version as that for which NVIZ was compiled.

Togl (the Tk OpenGL widget) accesses the fields of "struct TkWindow",
and this structure tends to change between different versions of Tk.
If you use the wrong version of Tk, NVIZ will probably crash with a
segmentation fault.

This is a substantial part of the reason why the official Tk sources
include the version number in the library name, i.e. to prevent the
wrong version from being used.