[GRASSLIST:2270] Poor quality PNG file driver output

Jason Horn jhorn at bu.edu
Sun Jan 18 16:06:56 EST 2004

Hi all,

I'm having trouble outputting images from the PNG file driver - the
quality of the resulting .png images is very poor.  I put together the
maps that I want to output using:

d.mon start=PNG
d.mon select=PNG
d.rast dem.relshade
d.mon stop=PNG

This does NOT give me what I'd see in the grass monitor if I'd used
d.mon start=x0 instead of the PNG driver.  The colors in the image are
interpolated, not enough shades of grey, for instance, as if the color
palette was very small.  Lots of blotchy colors, and no smooth
transitions and  gradients.

Markus, in your book you make the following reference on p. 187 in the
section 8.1.3 on "Monitor output to PNG and HTML files"

"If the Gd2.x library is installed the driver supports true color
output"

Because my images look like they don't have enough colors, I assumed
this was the problem.  So, I installed the gd  2.0.9 library and tested
it to make sure it was working.  I get the same poor quality images.  I
AM setting the GRASS_TRUECOLOR=TRUE environment variable.

What's going on here?  Why is the output from PNG file driver so
different from the output from the GRASS monitor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jason

Jason Horn
Boston University Department of Biology