[GRASSLIST:2288] Re: s.sample gets killed

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 19:06:59 EST 2004

> I need to extract raster cell values for a large number (approx. 2.5
> million) of sites. Unfortunately s.sample gets killed after probing a
> few thousand sites without apparent reason. No error message is given,
> just 'killed'. Has anybody encountered the same problem and found a
> solution or workaround?

Sounds like you are running out of memory.

can you run "top" to watch the memory use while s.sample runs?
hit "M" while top is running to sort processes by memory use.

Maybe it is a memory leak -- does the memory use steadily grow as the
program runs or is it all allocated at once? How big does it get? Please
post results so we can fix it if need be.

If it isn't a leak (or if it's only a small one), you'll need to add
more memory somehow.

You can temporarilty expand the ammount of virtual (swap) memory in
Linux using hard drive space with the following instructions:

http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2002-June/006700.html

good luck,
Hamish