[GRASSLIST:2296] s.surf.rst generating seemingly empty rasters

Matthew Tennant Matthew.Tennant at MobileInnovation.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 14:06:03 EST 2004

This occurs on the Windows port of GRASS (5.0.2) using the cygwin
environment and XWindows driver

No matter what I try, it seems that when I use s.surf.rst to produce a
raster file from my sites file (hg1), I produce trashed rasters that for
example have a size of 0 bytes in the cell directory in the mapset.
I tried using g.region sites=hg1 to change the region but to no avail.
The actual s.surf.rst process works OK, discarding only 4 of my points,
including the rest, and taking some time to complete because of the
relatively high resolution.
If I then try to display the raster I've created I get the error message
Warning: Fail of initial read of compressed file [hg1 in PERMANENT]
Warning: unable to open raster map [hg1 in PERMANENT]
Error: Not able to open cellfile for [hg1]

Could it be because I have null values in the site file?

Region:-

proj:       3
zone:       0
north:      90N