[GRASSLIST:2350] Re: GIS ERROR: error while writing to temp file: No such file or directory

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Jan 23 22:43:42 EST 2004

edmund at helmug.gr wrote:

> My umask value is 0022.
>
> Now i have tried the following:
>
> Compiled and installed a new version of GRASS 5.3 in another
> directory. THe problem insists. "GIS ERROR: error while writing to
> temp file:no such file or directory"
>
> I wonder if the data has anything to do. The data come from a
> XP/cygwin installation of GRASS 5.0.2. I just copied the folders and
> chown-chmod them.

So now all files and directories are owned by you, and are
readable/writeable by you, right?

> Any new ideas???Deadlines are running out...:-(

Are there any upper/lower case mismatches? Windows doesn't care about
case, but Unix does. If GRASS tries to read a file called "GROUP", and
the file is actually called "group", it will work on Windows but not
on Unix. I'm not sure about OSX, though.

If the Windows installation is still operational, you could try
exporting the data (using r.out.* etc) from the Windows installation
then importing it (using r.in.* etc) into a newly-created location on
the Mac.

In any case, direct copying of database directories between different
architectures isn't reliable. This is particularly relevant if the
systems have differing byte order or word size.